Monday, June 28, 2010

A Typical Day


Jeff and Adam just below the saddle of Mt. Yale during our project preview.
A little taste of my life: I wake up in my tent at 3:30 am. I stumble into our dark base camp kitchen to slam down some breakfast at about four, which usually consists of instant oatmeal or a bagel. I then strap on my boots and start hiking with the eleven other people who are working with me on the same project. We hike for about an hour and a half and gain approximately 3000 vertical feet (its steeeeeep). I try not to hike too close to anyone because inevitably someone will be suffering from high altitude flatulence expulsion the whole way up.
Speaking of fart bombs, I forgot to mention that we all poop in the same bucket, known as the groover. I, luckily, usually need to utilize the groover at least twice a day (insert sarcasm). But, using the groover is much preferred when considering the alternative wag bag (fancy zip-lock intended for feces). The wag bag is meant for use when the need to defecate hits while working above tree line. We definitely work above tree line. The other morning, Jeff (my co lead) happened upon a porcupine who also wanted a go at the groover. Don’t worry, neither one was hurt.
After hiking to the work site we maneuver rocks around until they're doing something good for the trail. The rocks are quite large for the most part, big enough to warrant the use of four or so people to be transported.
We work an entire day, hopefully nine hours, depending on the weather. Lightning strikes are a serious threat at 13,000 feet, which is why we start so darn early, as the weather usually moves in around one or two in the afternoon.
I realize you might be wondering why the heck I do this. I suppose that if you could see what I see when the sun rises in the mountains you might start to understand.
Or maybe the altitude has pushed me over the edge and I don't know up from down any more.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could do what you are doing! Great job and keep it up. I came down the trail you are working on last fall (we did a traverse from the NE). It was HORRIBLE.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Followers